Thursday, 15 September 2016

BEAUTY UNMASKED🎭

       Q: I want you to tell me what you think BEAUTY is, is it all about your facial features and physique......... thinking .......
Watcha say?! Share ya views.....

   

                        «3»

I swallowed to wet my suddenly dry throat “What does it mean doctor,........ is... it dangerous?” I stuttered out,  he gave me a sad smile and shook his head,  “Well it's a disorder that appears on  the skin when the skin loses its melanocyte” I frowned and shook my head in confusion "Well it's an autoimmune disease that happens when your immune system mistakenly attacks your own body,  and in vitiligo it attacks the melanocytes in the body" "I..." I huffed out and closed my mouth again, what was happening to me,  what was did he mean by autoimmune,  and a disorder  "It's not life-threatening,  it won't affect your well being but I'll still run some test on you to check that,  but vitiligo doesn't affect your health in any way it only affects your physical outlook and sometimes the mouth and eye" he assured does he mean my body was going to  be draped in these white patches,  my breathe quickened as all the dreams I've ever had flashed over my eyes.

I don't even know how I left the doctor's office I pulled my key from my door and opened the door to my house looking around like I was a stranger to it,  I felt like an intruder,  I am a damn intruder,  maybe to this world,  I've worked my butt of since childhood for this job,  only eating what  will help with my figure,  and using the best of skin products and just as I'm near fulfilling this dream God  decides to punish me with this godforsaken ailment.  I slumped on my bedroom door and propped heavily on my bum.

I heard when mum came back from the hospital but ignored her when she knocked on my door, I was still in the same position I was when I came from the hospital I hugged my legs and burst into tears "I'm only 19 with my whole life ahead of me,  why now?" I asked quietly I remember when the doctor said it had no cure,  I had to live with these marks for the rest of my life.

The following day was hell cos mom was at home today and bombarded me with questions about my visit I felt like yelling at her, the questions were getting  annoying  didn't  she know  to just keep quiet when her questions were not being answered.  I breathed in deeply trying to reign in the anger that was hurriedly building up inside me.  "It's nothing mom he said it be normal" I said rising from my chair,  "But you've not even touched your food" she complained as I headed to my room "I don't feel like eating mom" I replied and rushed to my room.
I'm a disappointment, I'm nothing but a disappointment.

I heard as she knocked on my door and coaxed me to open up bit I ignored her and continued crying silently,  I stood  and wobbly walked to my study desk and powered up my laptop and typed "vitiligo" in the search engine

"Vitiligo (vit-ih-LIE-go) is a disease that causes the loss of skin color in blotches. The extent and rate of color loss from vitiligo is unpredictable. It can affect the skin on any part of your body. It may also affect hair, the inside of the mouth and even the eyes.

Normally, the color of hair, skin and eyes is determined by melanin. Vitiligo occurs when the cells that produce melanin die or stop functioning."

I blinked at  the definition,  so it was true,  I remembered the doctor mentioning melanocytes. I pushed the laptop down and threw almost every object in my room.  There were insistent loud knocks on the door this time "Mina open the door now or you won't like it when I open it myself" she warned behind the  door but that only fueled my rage "Go away mom", "Mina I want you to open the door ok" she said in concern. I propped myself and walked to the door I opened it hurriedly moving back to my room, “What is wrong with you?” she asked in a slightly angered voice I shrugged and looked away,  "What is wrong with you Mina I want answers not body language" I rolledy eye "The marks are permanent" I said turning to see her expression she had a a frown on her face "I mean the white patches on my skin are permanent and can never be treated" her frown deepened. "I mean my illness is chronic VITILIGO has no cure" I said crying out,  "Aw Mina, that's not the end I know there might be something a doctor can do about this,  don't stress yourself too much" she advised pulling me in  a tight hug.

The heavens was in contrast with mom's words because the days that followed were worse almost every part of my body was sparsely covered in white spots,  my world kept crumbling the more, WTF does this have to happen to me, what did  I ever do wrong to  deserve this......


***

Well now you have ur answers on what vitiligo is and the doctor told Mina it has no cure,  that was what my uncle was also told but luckily for him he only has it on two fingers.... How will she cope with it...... And to the question up 👆there "WHAT DO YOU DEFINE AS BEAUTY?"

No comments:

Post a Comment